Black Eyed Beans (Lobia)
Black Eyed Bean is also known as lobia or chawalie. This is a basic recipe, easy and nutritious recipe to make, very delicious and protein rich.
- 1 cup blak eyed beans lobia, chawalie
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tbsp ginger shredded
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tomato chopped
- 3 cups water approx.
- 2 green chili
- 2 lemon slices
- Wash and soak beans for one hour or more.
- In a small bowl, mix the ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, and 3 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, add the spice paste and stir for a minute until spices start leaving the oil.
- Add Black Eyed Beans, salt and water close the pressure cooker as pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Black-eyed beans should be soft and tender.
- Add mango powder, garam masala, and tomatoes cover the cooker for few minutes. That will give tomatoes chance to get semi cooked with steam.
- Garnish this with wedge of lemon.
Tips Making a paste with the spices will prevent the spices from burning.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!