Bhindi Masala - Spicy Okra
Bhindi Masala is a delicious, easy to make vegetable dish. This is a North Indian style recipe with just perfect blend of spices.
- 1/2 pound okra bhindi, lady finger
- 1-1/2 tbsp oil canola, vegetable
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1 tbsp besan gram flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- Wash the okra and pat dry. Make sure to completely dry the okra as wet okra will be sticky when cutting.
- Cut off the both ends of the okra, and slice lengthwise in halves. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed crack right away oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds and asafetida (hing). When the cumin seeds crack, add the okra.
- Stir for a minute and reduce the heat to medium. Cover the okra for two to three minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, red cayenne pepper and turmeric, stir.
- Next add gram flour (besan) and continue to stir-fry until the okra is tender. Add the salt, mango powder and bell peppers, cook for another minute. Salt is added last to avoid the okra becoming lacy. Masala Bhindi is ready. Enjoy!
Variations Adding colorful bell pepper is a great garnish for the okra and adds flavor to the dish. You can substitute the bell pepper with sliced tomatoes as a garnish. You can also slice the okra in 1/4 inch pieces and follow the same method above.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!