Besan Ki Burfi (Gram Flour Fudge)
Besan ki barfi is sweet like candy and has a fudge like consistency. Made with roasted Besan, butter and sugar, it is then flavored with cardamom and garnished with nuts. Besan Burfi can be served any time of the day. In an Indian household, Burfies are served as cookies or chocolate.
- 1 cup besan gram flour
- 2 tbsp sooji samolina
- 1/4 cup almonds coarsely ground badam
- 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 cardamoms– shelled and seeds crushed
- 1 tbsp pistachios crushed for garnishing
- Grease 8” flat plate and set aside.
- In a bowl mix besan and semolina, add about 3 tablespoons of butter mix it well by rubbing with fingers. Mix will become grainy; Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Put rest of the butter in frying pan over medium heat; add besan mix and roast for about 4-5 minutes stirring continuously basen will lightly change the color.
- Add almonds and roast stirring continuously until the color has change to deep golden brown and also start to smell of the roasted basen, this should take another 6-7 minutes. Turn off the heat. We add the almonds later otherwise almonds will be over roasted.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together over medium heat until syrup is little less then 1 thread or 205 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Mix the syrup with flour mixture mix well and pore over greased plate.
- Sprinkle the sliced pistachios evenly over the top to garnish.
- Let Burfi cool it takes about 1 hours and cut into 1” squares.
Notes If syrup is not right consistency Burfi can become very soft or very dry, in any case it is easy to fix. Burfi is too soft: add little more almond powder or coconut powder. May be make them in ladoo a ball shape little smaller then golf ball and roll them in almond or coconut powder. Burfi is very dry: sprinkle hot water as needed about 2-3 tablespoons over Burfi and mix it. Besan Burfi also good for home made gift snack, some more suggestions Moog Dal Ladoo, Apple Coconut Burfi a perfect gift for vegan friend.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!