Besan Ka Halwa
Besan Ka Halwa is a traditional Indian dessert and made using different flour, lentils, nuts and vegetables. Besan Ka Halwa is one of my favorite Halwas. This is delicious and also quick and easy to make. When you roast the besan, the house is full of sweet aroma. Besan Ka Halwa is also gluten free.
- 1 cup coarse besan ladoo ka besan, gram flour
- 1/2 cup clarified butter ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder ilachi
- 2-1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp almonds sliced
- Boil the water with sugar, and cardamom powder in a sauce pan over low medium heat. Bring to a boil and Set aside.
- Melt the clarified butter in a frying pan on low medium heat. Add besan and roast to golden brown color; stirring constantly this will take about 5 to 8 minutes. Besan will be golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma.
- Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to besan water will splatter.
- Turn down the heat to low and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Besan will absorb the water, as the Halwa cools so keep Halwa a little softer then you like.
- Garnish with cashews.
Serving suggestion Serve hot for best taste. If you like, garnish with shaved pistachio, almonds or shredded coconut. Variations Instead of water add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water and keep Halwa a little thicker. Pour the Halwa on a greased plate, keep it about 1/2 inch thick. Garnish with shaved almonds or pistachio or shredded coconut, and let it cool for about a half an hour. Cut the Halwa in square or diamond shapes like burfi.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!