Baked Vegetable Idli
Baked vegetable Idli makes for a healthy and delicious appetizer or side dish. They are very eye-catching and great to present at a gathering for guests to pop into their mouth. They are the perfect addition to any menu because they are so easy to make. Idlies have a unique texture because they are soft but also slightly crisp on the bottom. Baked vegetable idli are best served with coconut chutney if served as an appetizer or with sambar if served with the main meal.
- 1 cup coarse sooji semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt dahi, curd
- 1/2 cup bell pepper finely chopped, capsicum, I am using green and yellow for color
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 piece ginger finely grated
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped, hara dhania
- 1 cup water as needed
- 1 tsp ENO fruit salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees (F).
- Seasoning: heat the oil moderately in a saucepan. Add mustard and cumin seeds, as the seeds crack turn off the heat and set aside.
- I am using mini cupcake tray, will make 24 idli, oil it and set aside.
- Mix sooji, salt, yogurt, and water (as needed) to make a pancake-like batter. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables bell pepper, carrots, ginger, green chili, and cilantro. Add the seasoning and mix. The batter thickens as the semolina absorbs the water. At this point, add a little more water if it is too thick.
- Add Eno Fruit Salt to the batter and mix well. The mixture will begin foaming. Immediately begin pouring into the cupcake tray. Place the tray in oven.
- Bake the idlies for five minutes, then lay over the aluminum foil. Bake it again for 15 minutes. Idlies should be lightly brown from the sides.
- Cool for few minutes before removing each individual idli. They should come out easily and not stick to the tray. The idlis should be spongy, and light golden color from the sides and bottom.
Notes: First, I baked the idlies without covering, then after 5 minutes I covered the Idlies, if you don’t cover Idlies, they will be dry and will lose the softness and texture. you can prepare Idlies 2-3 days in advance, after they cool of refrigerate them in air tight container. Before serving heat the Idlies in microwave for about two minutes. Idlies will be soft. Baked vegetable idli are best served with coconut chutney if served as an appetizer or with sambar if served with the main meal.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!