Baked Vegetable Idli
Baked vegetable Idli makes for a healthy and delicious appetizer or side dish. They are very eye-catching and great to present at a gathering for guests to pop into their mouth. They are the perfect addition to any menu because they are so easy to make. Idlies have a unique texture because they are soft but also slightly crisp on the bottom. Baked vegetable idli are best served with coconut chutney if served as an appetizer or with sambar if served with the main meal.
- 1 cup coarse sooji semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt dahi, curd
- 1/2 cup bell pepper finely chopped, capsicum, I am using green and yellow for color
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 piece ginger finely grated
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped, hara dhania
- 1 cup water as needed
- 1 tsp ENO fruit salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees (F).
- Seasoning: heat the oil moderately in a saucepan. Add mustard and cumin seeds, as the seeds crack turn off the heat and set aside.
- I am using mini cupcake tray, will make 24 idli, oil it and set aside.
- Mix sooji, salt, yogurt, and water (as needed) to make a pancake-like batter. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables bell pepper, carrots, ginger, green chili, and cilantro. Add the seasoning and mix. The batter thickens as the semolina absorbs the water. At this point, add a little more water if it is too thick.
- Add Eno Fruit Salt to the batter and mix well. The mixture will begin foaming. Immediately begin pouring into the cupcake tray. Place the tray in oven.
- Bake the idlies for five minutes, then lay over the aluminum foil. Bake it again for 15 minutes. Idlies should be lightly brown from the sides.
- Cool for few minutes before removing each individual idli. They should come out easily and not stick to the tray. The idlis should be spongy, and light golden color from the sides and bottom.
Notes: First, I baked the idlies without covering, then after 5 minutes I covered the Idlies, if you don’t cover Idlies, they will be dry and will lose the softness and texture. you can prepare Idlies 2-3 days in advance, after they cool of refrigerate them in air tight container. Before serving heat the Idlies in microwave for about two minutes. Idlies will be soft. Baked vegetable idli are best served with coconut chutney if served as an appetizer or with sambar if served with the main meal.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
42 thoughts on “Baked Vegetable Idli”
Could I use coconut milk instead of yoghurt for vegans?
I have tried almond yogurt that works good.
I have tried this recipe and all my friends loved it. Thanks for sharing your delicious and easy recipes.
At what point do you add the seasoning? The oil, jeera seeds and mustards seeds. You have only said, “set aside”.
in the mix before baking
Can you use onions and sweetcorn?
At what point do you add the seasoning?
Can I bake it on gass as well
I have never baked a cake over gas range try and let me know how you did it
Can i prepare those on gas in cake pan in kadhai instead of Oven ?
Thankyou for this baked option of idli.Instead of covering the idli after 5 minutes, can I use a steam oven instead?
What seasoning should we put? It says add seasoning
Seasoning: heat the oil moderately in a saucepan. Add mustard and cumin seeds, as the seeds crack turn off the heat
What can we use instead of ENO
Baking soda and few drops of lemon juice, it will work but not as good as ENO
Love your recipes! I couldn’t find coarse sooji, can I use fine sooji instead? Thanks:)
Priya, that will work
I tried this method, but used MTR rava Idli mix. It was crispy and delicious. If you make this in advance, what is the best way to reheat so it does not loose crispness. Thanks a lot for posting, Roopa
Wonderful recipe , I am trying today ????
nice share this information…
Can I use baking soda instead of ENO salts?
ENO works batter but you can use baking soda and few drops of lemon juice right over the baking soda.
Thank you Manjula! Your recipes have made me a cook that I am. My husband, son and father in law love the recipes!
Deepti, thank you I appreciate you comment.You made my day
This is just the kind of recipe I have been looking for to along with my diet plan. These look yum and the best part is it takes around 30 minutes for the whole prep and cooking. Also, instead of baking, would it a good option air fry the idlis?
Thank you so much for sharing wonderful recipe, i didn’t make it yet but know this will be wonderful idea to bake ( i was planing do it before I see your recipe). Thank you so much again.
i cant thank you enough for this recipe. i’ve made it like a ton of times! it’s the most requested item!
unique and tasty
Tried these today and they turned out absolutely delicious. Thank you for the great recipe.
Kira, Thanks It always feel good to hear, recipe came out good and you enjoyed. Feed back means lot to me.
Easy and really delicious! I baked it about 10 minutes longer but otherwise followed the recipe.
Manjula, my idlis taste fine but don’t turn light brown.
Romi, some time it depends on the oven heat keep it little longer
Manjula should we place the muffin tray in the middle of the oven or closer to the top. Ty somuvh.
Romi, middle rack works the best.
Wow ! THANK YOU !
When to put the tadka on it ? No mention in the video or notes
Mahima, Thank you for pointing it out I will correct in the written recipe but yes you add the tadka the same time you are adding vegetables with sooji batter before you add ENO
This is absolutely lovely! Thank you so much!
Will give it a try.
How long should I bake uncovered and covered if using regular size muffin pan (12 muffins oan)?
Mital, cook for about eight minutes uncovered and covered for about 20 minutes check it sides of idlies should have light golden color
You must log in to post a comment.