Badam Burfi (Almond Candy)
Badam (almond) Burfi is a healthy substitute for candy but is rich in flavor. Almond burfi can be served as dessert or snack.
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp ghe clarified butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. Peel the skin off the almonds.
- Blend the almonds into a fine paste using just enough milk as needed to blend. Add the sugar and whip it for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the ghee in the frying pan on low-medium heat. As the ghee melts, add the almond paste and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens to the consistency of bread batter and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add the cardamom powder. Remove the frying pan from the heat.
- Whip the batter using a spoon in a circular motion for about two to three minutes.
- Pour it into the prepared greased pan. Smooth en the surface of the mixture to about a quarter inch thick.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes until burfi is just look warm.
- Cut into 1-inch squares or any shape you like.
Cool to the room temperature and store burfi in an airtight container. Almond burfi has a long shelf life and can be kept outside for up to one week. When refrigerated, almond burfi will last a couple of months. Suggestions: You can make burfi using almond meal or almond flour. If you are using almond meal, mix one cup almond meal with the sugar and milk and knead the mixture for two minutes. Let the mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Then follow the directions above. The almond flour burfi will be a little chewy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!