Aloo Dum is an exotic delicious main dish. Just the smell of aloo dum can make you hungry! To make this dish, potatoes are fried and then soaked in the spicy aromatic gravy. This is a perfect dish for any dinner party.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil canola, vegetable
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tbsp besan gram flour
- 6 whole red chilies
- 1/4 cup yogurt dahai, curd
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut powder
- 1/4 inch ginger adrak
- 1 green chili
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder saunf
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped hara dhania
Oil to Fry
- Peeled and cut the potatoes into ½” cubes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Frying pan should have at least 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one piece of potato in the oil. The potato should sizzle right away. If potatoes are fried on low heat they will be very oily.
- Fry the potatoes till they are cooked through; turn the potatoes few times while frying. Take out potatoes with a slotted spoon (this allows excess oil to drip back into the frying pan) and place on a paper towel. Keep aside.
- Heat the pan on medium heat and stir-fry the sesame seeds for about a minute until seeds lightly change color. Take them out and keep aside.
- Blend sesame seeds, coconut, ginger, green chili, and make it into a paste. Use water as needed to blend into paste.
- In a small bowl mix, sesame paste, yogurt, ginger, green chili, coriander powder, funnels seed powder, paprika, red chili powder, and turmeric into a paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add the cumin asafetida and cumin seeds. After the cumin seeds crack, add whole red chili and besan (gram flour). Stir-fry for about half a minute until the besan (gram flour) is golden-brown.
- Add the spice paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the spices starts to separate from the oil.
- Add the potatoes, mix it well and add about 1cup of water. After the gravy boils, let it cook on low-medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking.
- Add the cilantro and garam masala cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let it sit for few minutes before taking of the cover. This helps bringing the color on the top of the dish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!