Aloo chana chaat is a spicy potato and chickpea snack. It’s very easy to make and is a favorite tasty treat of mine. This recipe involves marinating boiled potatoes and chickpeas in spices to make a great savory snack.
Recipe will serve 4.
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups boiled chickpeas, garbanzo (chols, kabuli chana)
- 1-1/2 cups potatoes (aloo) boiled peeled and cubed in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely grated (adrak)
- 2 teaspoons green chili finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (kala namak)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 6 slices of lemon
- 6 green chilies mild
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or coarse salt
- Wash and dry the whole green chilies. Heat a small frying pan on low medium heat, add the oil and green chilies, and cover the pan. Shake the pan slowly to move the chilies around. Notes: it is important to keep the pan cover chilies will splatter. Cook the chilies for about 2 minutes turn off the heat, wait till it stop splattering and remove the lid chilies should be light brown if it is not cook for another minute. Remove and keep aside.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and lightly mash. Add the potatoes and all the ingredients ginger, green chili, red pepper, salt, black salt, black pepper, mango powder, sugar, roasted cumin powder, lemon juice, and cilantro mix it well.
- Let it sit for at least fifteen minutes or more, chickpeas and potatoes will absorbed the flavor of spices.
- Serve the aloo chana chat with side of tomatoes, fried green peppers and lemon wedges.
How to boil the chickpea
Soak one cup of chickpeas for about eight hours or more, after soaking chick peas will be about 2-1/2 times. Drain the water, cooked the chickpeas in pressure cooker on high heat with 2 cups of water and no salt. After pressure cooker start steaming reduce the heat to low medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Aloo chana chaat also makes a good lunch box meal.
- Serve this with tamarind chutney or cilantro chutney and you will have a new recipe.
14 thoughts on “Aloo Chana Chaat”
Thank you for Aloo Chana Chaat Recipe. It’s simple and can be prepared with ingredients available in Home.
Lovely, i knew the recipe but getting an idea sometimes is easy to refresh old recipes
Thank you for the lovy website.
Looks amazing wow!!!
Looks amazing wow !!!
What is black salt, ma’am? I am unfamiliar. Also, is it a necessity? I have a sodium restricted diet.
Hi Manjula mam, i am a biggest fan of your recipes n i have tried so many recipes of yours n it turned exactly the same way u do. Thank you so much for sharing ur recipes with us.
Simran Thank I appreciate your comments
This is very interesting recipe.. thank you for posting mam
is ingredient quantity same for 6-8 person
Monica, double the quantity
I used a can of chickpeas but apart from that I followed the recipe & what an easy, glorious, result!!!
Omg, my stomach just growled seeing these pics! Yummmm!!
You must log in to post a comment.