Aloo Chaat, which is a spicy potato snack. Aloo chaat is a popular snack found at north Indian road side vendors. This is one of the very few chaats served without any chutney. However you can always add cilantro and tamarind chutney. This recipe is inspired by the chaat I used to enjoy near my childhood home in India. I incorporated a special spice mix also known as chaat masala and would suggest trying this recipe without chutney. This mouthwatering chaat is just perfect for anyone who loves spicy food.
This recipe will serve 4.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- About 4 cups cubed potatoes, firmly boiled peeled and cut into bite size
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Spice Mix for Chaat Masala
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin seed powder (bhuna jeera)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons black salt
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (saunth)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Note: This spice mix known as chaat masala can also be used to spice up any food. It especially tastes good when it is sprinkled over sliced cucumber and tomato or over pakoras. You can make the chaat masala in a larger quantity and keep it ready to go whenever you need it.
- To make spice mix all the spice mix together really well and set aside.
- Heat heavy flat frying pan on medium high heat, add the oil in to warm frying pan. Place the cubed potatoes on the frying pan and sprinkle the salt over the potatoes.
- Stir fry the potatoes; turn them occasionally until all sides are golden brown. This process should take 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle ginger, cilantro, green chilies, lemon juice and about 1-1/2 tablespoons of spice mix. Mix it well, making sure all the pieces of potatoes are coated.
- Taste one of the potato and add more spice mix if needed according to your taste.