Yellow rice is very flavorful and aromatic with great blend of spices. Turmeric adds the vivid golden color to the rice. Yellow rice is quick, and easy to make. This goes great with soup, and salad or as a side dish with any meal.
Recipe serves 2 to 4.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed (rai)
- 4 whole red chilies (sabut lal mirch)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- About 1inch piece of cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash rice gently and soak it for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- After cooking rice expands to about three times in volume, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
- Drain the rice and put into the saucepan. Add the water, green peas, 1 teaspoon of oil, and salt, bring to a boil and turn the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds.
- After the seeds crack, add red chilies, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick and stir-fry for few seconds.
- Add rice, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the spices in frying pan. Mix it gently.
- Stir-fry for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve hot with soup, dal or yogurt.