Vegetable pulav is a mix of spicy vegetables with rice. This is a great dish for lunch. If you are not in the mood to prepare a big meal, use vegetable pulav as a one-dish meal. Serve with yogurt, pickle, papadam or chutney.
Serves 2 to 4.
- For rice
- 1 cup basmati or long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For vegetables
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium sized potato, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 long sliced green peppers
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For garnish:
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
Preparing the rice:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the oil by adding one cumin seed; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds after cumin seeds crack add bay leaves and stir for few seconds.
- Next add the rice. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water and salt, bring to a boil and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
Preparing the vegetables:
- Use a frying pan to cook the vegetables. Add the vegetables in steps, the vegetables that need the most time to cook are added first and the vegetables that need the least time will be added last.
- Heat the oil in frying pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds after cumin seeds crack, add potatoes, stir-fry them for about 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and carrots. Let them cook for about another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add green peas, bell pepper, ginger and green chilies. Let the vegetables cook for a few minutes till vegetables are tender. Turn off the heat.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice.
- Next gently fold the rice into the vegetables. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish the rice dish with cilantro.