Vegetarian enchilada is a popular Mexican dish with my family. This mix of veggies with homemade enchilada sauce is such a tasty treat. This is my twist to the classic Mexican dish, which is very delicious and exotic.
This recipe will serve 3.
- 6 corn tortillas (I am using white corn tortilla)
- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, I am using frozen corn
- 1/2 cup mushroom chopped
- 1/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 jalapenos chopped, adjust to taste
For Enchilada Sauce:
- Blend the tomatoes, make a smooth puree. Heat the sauce pan over medium heat. Add the oil and all-purpose flour, stir for one minute until flour is light golden brown. Add tomato puree, oregano, salt, sugar, black pepper, red chili powder, and cumin. Mix it well making sure there is no lumps. Add 1 cup of water and boil over medium heat about 2-3 minutes, sauce should be pouring consistency. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat, add the vegetables. Corn, mushrooms and spinach. Cook stirring until moisture has evaporated but mix should be still moist. Remove from heat add about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, mix it well. When vegetable mix comes to room temperature add the cheese and mix it well. Set aside.
Making enchilada: Note: I am using microwave.
- Mix both cheese and set aside. Heat the skillet over medium heat and grease the skillet generously. Toast the tortillas about one minute from both sides.
- Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, two rolled tortilla seam side down, in microwaveable plates. I prefer to make enchiladas in microwave it is fast and it is easy to personalize how much filling, how much cheese and also mild or hot. Sprinkle enchiladas with about 3 tablespoons of sauce and sprinkle the cheese.
- Microwave for about one and half minutes, cheese should be melted and little bubbly.
- For best taste serve enchiladas hot with side of lettuce and chopped tomatoes.