Vegetable Biryani is a rich and exotic rice dish with spicy vegetables. The saffron aroma makes this dish very inviting. Biryani is a popular Mughali dish that has been adapted by Indians. Vegetable Biryani makes a great dish for a formal dinner or can be served as main meal.
Recipe serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup long-grain rice, preferably Basmati
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons milk
For Vegetable gravy:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 4 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fine shredded ginger
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup cubed paneer
- 2 cup sliced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Drain the rice and put it into the saucepan. Add water, oil, and salt, and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- For a few minutes soak saffron in warm milk then gently fold the milk into the cooked rice.
Vegetable And Gravy:
- Blend tomatoes to make a puree.
- In a bowl add yogurt, ginger, green chili, salt, turmeric, chili powder – mix it well.
- Add all the vegetables (cauliflower, beans, bell pepper, carrots, paneer, cashews, ginger and green chili) to the yogurt. Mix it well then let it marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, and cook on medium-high heat. While cooking the tomato puree cover the pan so gravy does not splatter all over the burner. Cook until tomato mixture starts leaving oil and reduces to about half the volume.
- Add the marinated vegetables to tomato puree. Let it cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes on medium heat until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir the vegetables in between so they cook evenly.
Prepare The Biryani:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Take baking glass dish 9″ x 9″ or about the same size round bowl.
- Put half of the cooked vegetables into the baking dish.
- Spread half of the cook rice over vegetables. Over the rice, sprinkle with mint and garam masala.
- Pour the remaining vegetables evenly over the rice.
- Spread remaining rice evenly over vegetables.
- Next sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over the rice, and then spread melted butter over the entire dish.
- Cover the pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cooked rice expands to about 3 times its original size, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
- Serve with mint raita. Mint raita is plain yogurt mixed with salt, black pepper, and dry mint.
- Vegetables can be added and subtracted to your choice.
- Saffron and mint are key ingredients for biryani.