Vanilla Panna Cotta with Orange Gelée is a great holiday dessert that very presentable and tastes delicious.
Serving Size: About 6 glasses
Preparation time: 45 mins + approx. 6 hours for refrigeration
Panna cotta Ingredients:
- 10 gm agar agar powder (china grass)
- 1/2 cup/120 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup/120 ml whole milk
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 500 gm plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Put agar powder in 1/4 cup cold water and keep aside for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, mix milk, honey, cream, vanilla essence in a saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Do not boil the mixture. Keep stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add agar + water mixture and stir well till agar powder is completely dissolved.
- In a bowl, whisk yogurt until smooth.
- Pour the milk+cream+agar mixture gradually into yogurt and whisk to mix everything well.
- Evenly pour the mixture into 6 (or more) glasses. Do not fill the glass more than half.
- Refrigerate it for 3-4 hours (or until the panna cotta is set).
- Make the orange gelee only after the panna cotta is set.
Orange Gelée Ingredients:
- 7 gm agar agar powder
- 1.75 cups/420 ml orange juice
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 5-6 tablespoons of caster sugar (or more if you want gelee to be more sweet)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 strawberries & few mint leaves to garnish
- Sprinkle agar powder over 1/4 cup cold water and let it stand for 10 mins.
- In the meanwhile, take orange juice, lemon juice and sugar into a saucepan and bring barely to a simmer. Do not boil the mixture. Keep stirring continuously. Taste the mixture and add more sugar if needed.
- Remove from heat. Add agar + water mixture and whisk till agar powder is dissolved completely.
- Remove panna cotta glasses from the fridge and pour the orange gelee mixture equally into all glasses leaving some room at the top to garnish.
- Cover all glasses with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or till the gelee is set.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and mint leaves just before serving!