Upma Sooji is a great dish for breakfast or brunch.
Serving for 2.
- 1/2 cup sooji (rawa, semolina flour)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed (rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 20 peanuts
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to your taste
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- Boil the green peas in 1 1/4 cup of water.
- As water comes to boil turn heat to low and continue cooking until peas are tender.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready. Add black mustard seed and cumin seed.
- Add mustard seed and cumin seeds as seeds crack, add peanuts and stir for one minute.
- Add sooji and stir-fry about 3 minutes on medium heat till sooji turns gold brown.
- Add green peas with water a little at a time, otherwise water will splatter.
- Add lemon juice and cover for 2 minutes.
- Sooji will absorb some of the water leaving the upma moist.
- Now add the cilantro and stir. Serve while hot.