What's more satisfying and comforting than a hot bowl of soup? This is an easy recipe and simply delicious. Tomato Soup is always good as a starter or light meal with salad and crusty bread.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut in small pieces to make about 4 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 celery stick, cut into small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Lightly brown the ginger. Add carrots and celery. Stir fry two minutes.
Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are mushy.
Let the tomatoes cool, then puree in blender.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seed and asafetida. As the cumin seeds crack, add cilantro and stir for a minute.
Add the tomato pure and approx. 1¼ cup of water (adjust the water to your taste).
When the soup boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer three to four minutes.
Serve hot, I like to serve with few pieces of crouton.