Tandoori Roti is made with whole-wheat flour and traditionally cooked in a clay oven or tandoor. This recipe uses a regular home oven with pizza or baking stone which provides a similar effect to the tandoor.
Recipe make 4 Rotis.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- About 1/4 cup of water as needed
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour for rolling
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clear butter)
- Mix the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt together.
- Next add the oil and yogurt and mix to make crumbly dough.
- Add water as needed and mix to make smoother dough.
- Knead the dough for about a minute. Set the dough aside and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone (baking stone) for about thirty minutes so the stone becomes hot. Using a baking/pizza stone will help to give roti close to same kind of heat as tandoor.
- Next turn the oven to high broil.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- Roll each dough piece into a smooth ball and press flat. Take each ball and press it into the dry flour on both sides makes it easy to roll.
- Roll each dough piece into 6-inch circles.
- If the dough sticks to the rolling pin or rolling surface, lightly dust the dough with dry flour.
- Before putting the rolled dough into the oven, lightly wet your palms and take the rolled dough and flip them between your palms before placing them onto your baking/pizza stone in the oven.
- You can place about 2 pieces of rolled dough on the baking/pizza stone at a time. The roti will take about 2 minutes to cook, depending upon your oven. After the roti is baked, there should be golden brown color on top.
- Take roti out of the oven and brush lightly with clear butter (ghee).
- Wait for 2 to 3 minutes before baking the next roti to allow the oven to reheat.
- Serve the roti hot
- Serve Tandoori Roti with dal, or any gravy-based dish and a side of sukhi subji complimented with chilled yogurt raita.