Sarson Ka Saag, mustard greens with spinach is a healthy and easy to prepare dish. Sarson ka saag is a all time favorite punjabi dish. Traditionally this is served with maki ki rote (maize flat bread) and gur (unrefined cane sugar).
- 4 cups packed mustard leaves chopped (sarson)
- 4 cups packed spinach leaves chopped (palak)
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely shredded
- 2 green chili chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup corn flour (maki ka atta, maize)
- 4 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- Mix corn flour with ½ cup of water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan boil the mustard, and spinach leaves, 4 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter, salt, turmeric, ginger and green chili with one cup of water over medium high heat.
- After greens come to boil cover the pan and turn heat down to medium. Cook for approximately 30 minutes; stir 3-4 times in between. Greens should be well cook and mushy; they will become about 1/3 in volume.
- Add corn flour mixture and mix it well and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir 3-4 times in between. Saag should be cook well all the ingredients nicely integrated together.
- For seasoning heat the ghee/ clairfied butter in small pan, ghee should be moderately hot. Add cumin seeds they should crack right a way. Add asafetida and red chilies stir for few second and add to the saag. Mix it well.
- Sarson ka saag is ready. Serve hot with maki ki roti, naan or Thandoori Roti.