Sandesh is a specialty from the state of Bengal. Sandesh is a delicacy, served as a dessert. Made several different ways using freshly made paneer.
Recipe makes 24 pieces.
- 1/2 gallon (8cups) milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoon sliced pistachios
- About 8 strands of saffron
- 2 tablespoon crushed pineapple
- Make the paneer (check the recipe for paneer).
- Drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth, or muslin cloth.
- Wrap the curds in a muslin cloth, rinse under cold water, and squeeze well.
- Once the paneer is drained, place on a dry, clean surface and knead the paneer until the paneer is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
- Add the sugar and cardamom into the paneer and knead the paneer again until sugar is mixed well.
- Next on low heat cook the paneer mixture stirring continuously until paneer starts coming together as soft dough. This should take about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep mixing the paneer like you are making dough.
- This is most important step to this dish; you are just cooking paneer enough to take out the rawness. If you over cook the paneer it will become crumbly.
- Mix the saffron thread in 1 teaspoon of warm milk and mix it well. Keep aside.
- Divide the paneer in 24 equal parts and roll them giving a ball shape.
- Garnish with crushed pineapple, or garnish them with a drop of saffron paste putting sliced pistachio over.
- Refrigerate them for few hours before serving. Serve them chilled!
- Sandesh can be refrigerated for a week.