Lassi is a healthful yogurt-based drink, popular throughout India. Mint and ginger give it a tangy and refreshing taste. Mint Lassi is a great compliment to any meal, especially during summer.
- 2 cups of yogurt (dahi, curd)
- ¼ cup mint leaves (podina)
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder* (bhuna jeera)
- Few mint leaves for garnishing
- ½ cup of ice cubes
- Blend mint leaves with two tablespoons of yogurt to make a paste. Add yogurt, ginger juice, salt, black salt, and one cup of water. Blend just enough to make the drink smooth; don’t over-blend as it will froth.
- Pour it over ice cubes and garnish with roasted cumin seed powder and mint leave.
- Lassi can be made one day in advance and refrigerated.
- Making Ginger juice: shred the ginger using a fine grater or zester and squeeze the pulp using fingers.
- Roasting Cumin seeds: Toast cumin in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until aromatic and brown in color. You can make a small jar of this in advance and keep it for couple of months. This is used in many recipes.