Sabudana Vada is a delicious snack with a great texture. It is crunchy on the outside and soft inside. This can satisfy just about anybody, even those on a gluten-free diet. This recipe is completely gluten free.
Recipe will serve 4 people.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1/3 cup tapioca (sabudana)
- teaspoon salt adjust to taste(namak)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 finely chopped green chili adjust to taste
- Approximately 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Oil to fry
- Wash the tapioca and soak it in 3 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water. After soaking, the tapioca will have increased in volume, by about 2 times. Set aside.
- Par-boil the potatoes, so they are only half-cooked. Insert a knife into the potato to ensure that it is still somewhat firm.
- Cool the potatoes, then peel and grate them using a vegetable grater.
- Mix all the ingredients together. The dough will be a little sticky and soft in consistency.
- Divide the potato dough into 16 parts.
- Roll each one into a smooth patty. You will need to lightly oil your palms to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. There should be at least 1½ inches of oil in the frying pan. To check if the oil is ready, drop a small piece of dough into the oil. The dough should rise to the surface, and not change its color immediately.
- Slowly drop the patties into the frying pan.
- Fry the vada until both sides are golden brown. Turn them occasionally. It will take approx. 4 to 5 minutes to cook.
- Remove the vada and place over a paper towel so the excess oil is absorbed.
- Sabudana vada should be crunchy on the outside and soft inside.
- Serve them as is or with cilantro or tamarind chutney.
The frying oil needs to be sufficiently hot, or else the Vadas will turn out greasy and may break into pieces while cooking.
- Sabudana Vadas are best served with cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney as a dip.
- Vadas taste best when they are served hot.
- Sabudana Vadas can be made one day in advance and stored at room temperature. Do not refrigerate. When ready to serve, place on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven at 300 degrees till warm.