Lal Mirch Ka Achar, Red Chili Pickle
- 10 whole red chili (jalapeno or cayenne)
- 3 Tbsp coriander (dhania)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed (dana methi)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds (peele sarso)
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (kalongi)
- 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp oil, I prefer mustard oil (can use olive oil)
Wash and dry the chilies and cut the chilies in 1/8-inch pieces.
Combine coriander, fennel, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, and nigella seeds roast them over low heat for 1-2 minutes till spices becomes aromatic. Grind coarsely.
Heat the oil on medium heat, after oil is very turn off the heat and let it come to the room temperature. Set aside.
Mix the roasted spices, salt, mango powder, and turmeric to the red chilies, and mix it well. Pour oil over the mixture and mix well.
Keep the pickle in a glass jar. Let the jar sit two days at room temperature or few hours in direct sunlight. Pickle is ready to serve.
Chili Pickle will be good for a week at room temperature or keep in the refrigerator up to one month.
Suggestion For a milder pickle, remove the pepper seeds, or sometimes chilies are not hot then add some red chili powder.