Potato skins are boiled potatoes filled with spicy chickpeas. This is a mouthwatering snack, that looks great and tastes yummy. It is a delicious and healthy appetizer for the people who don’t like to have oily food.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 4 medium size red potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green chili adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the potatoes and slice them into halves.
- Boil approximately 3 cups of water in a pan over medium high heat; add salt, oil and potatoes.
- Cover and cook potatoes till they are tender, which will take approximately 20 minutes. Remove them from the water.
- Once the potatoes are cool to touch, scoop out the insides from the center leaving ¼ inch thickness to outside of the potato. Red potato works best for this recipe because they hold their shape nicely.
- Set potatoes aside.
- Soak chickpeas for at least 8 hours in 3 cups of water or more.
- Boil the chickpeas in 1 ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker over medium high heat. As the pressure cooker begins to steam, lower the heat to medium and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add all the spices, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes over low heat.
- Spicy chickpeas should be a thick gravy-like consistency, not dry. As chickpeas cool they will absorb the water. Set aside.
Assembling Potato Skin
- Take each potato bowl and coat the inside with one teaspoon of Hari Cilantro Chutney.
- Place 2 tablespoons of spiced chickpeas into the chutney coated bowl. Drizzle the top with tamarind chutney.
- Serve warmed up or at room temperature.