Potato Paneer Tots are a great blend of potatoes, paneer and jalapeno pepper.
Recipe makes about 24.
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup mashed paneer
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper (hari mirch)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida, plain flour)
- 5 tablespoons water
- Oil to fry
- Mix flour and water together and make a thin, smooth batter and keep aside.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes and shred them in a grater or food processor.
- In a pan boil the water. After it comes to boil put the shredded potatoes in the water and let it boil for two to three minutes until they are just tender. Note: don’t over cook the potatoes they will become mushy, should be able to feel the shredded potatoes
- Once cooked, drain the water and pour some cold water over the potatoes.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out of the potatoes, again making sure to not make the shredded potatoes mushy.
- Next mix shredded potatoes, mashed paneer, and jalapeno pepper, and salt together
- Divide the potato mixture in about 24 equal parts and form them into bullet shape. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 ½ inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one small piece of mix in the oil, it should sizzle and come up right away.
- Dip the potato balls in the batter one at a time and slowly drop into the frying pan.
- Turn them occasionally. Fry tots until golden-brown all around.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve them hot with your choice of tomato ketchup or coriander (hari) chutney or tamarind (imli) chutney. They also taste great as is.