Peanut chikki or peanut brittle is a delicious homemade candy. This recipe is super simple and easy with very few ingredients, peanuts, sugar and touch of ginger and salt. Ginger adds a very nice tanginess to the chikki.
This recipe will make 12 peanut chikkies and will serve 6.
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 1 cup peanuts shelled unsalted raw
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons of clarified butter or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger juice
- Grease about 5×7 plate and set aside.
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium heat stirring continuously for about 6 to 7 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan, wait till they cool off rub between your palms and remove most of the skin. Lightly crush the peanuts.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, over medium high heat melt the butter, then add sugar, ginger, and salt.
- Keep stirring the sugar continuously till sugar start melting and changing the color to light brown. Turn off the heat as soon it comes to golden brown in color. Note: when sugar starts melting it changes the color very quickly and it can easily burn.
- Add peanuts stir quickly. Pour over the greased plate and spread evenly.
- Cool for a few minutes chikki should be warm, cut them in about 1-1/2 inch square.
- Store them in air tight container
Note: To make the ginger juice grate the ginger using fine shredder and then press it between your fingers to yield the juice.