Peach phirni is a delicious creamy eggless pudding. Traditionally phirni is made with rice, milk and sugar. Adding peach gives a wonderful creamy smooth texture.
Recipe for 8
- 1/4 cup rice
- 3 cups of milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 15 oz can of unsweetened sliced peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- For garnishing:
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Few slices of canned peaches
- Few mint leaves
- Wash rice and soaks it for fifteen minutes or more.
- Drain the water and blend rice to a fine texture, adding just enough milk as needed to blend. Keep aside.
- Drain the syrup from can peaches. Keep 4 slices of peach aside for garnish.
- Puree the remaining peaches with corn starch. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk on medium high heat and let it simmer until milk reduces to about 2 cups. After milk comes to boil it should take about 8 minutes.
- Take about 1/4 cup of hot milk and mix it with rice paste.
- Add rice solution to the boiling milk slowly and keep stirring continuously, making sure rice does not become in lumps and milk does not burn on the bottom of the pen.
- Cook until milk has reduced to about half in volume and rice is cooked.
- Next add the sugar and cardamom powder, cook for about 4 minutes on low medium heat. Turn off the heat.
- just after turning off the heat add the peach puree gently with cooked rice.
- Shift the phirni to the serving bowl and garnish with almond, and peach slices.
- Let it sit in refrigerator for few hours. Serve chill
There are so many delicious variations to this dish! Instead of peaches try making this dish using fresh mango, guava, passion fruit puree.
Originally posted 2010-08-09 02:14:45.