Palak Paneer (2016)
Palak Paneer is likely the most popular paneer dish from North India. Creamy spinach with tasty paneer makes a delicious main dish. This recipe was one of my first published recipes on YouTube. After so many years of cooking, my family has decided my cooking skills have improved! I wanted to do this recipe again as with modified cooking method. Also I will like to thank you to all of my viewers who have encouraged me over the years. You guys truly inspire me!
- 10 oz spinach washed and clean, about 6 cups packed spinach
- 1-1/2 cups paneer cubed into bite size, about 1/3 pound of paneer
- 1 tomato finely chopped, this will make 3/4 of chopped tomato
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- First blanch the spinach, this helps to keep the spinach color bright. To blanch the spinach, boil about 6 cups of water in a saucepan, and let the spinach boil for one minutes. Drain the water and put the spinach in ice cold water for about two minutes. Drain the water.
- Blend the spinach, ginger and green chili. Spinach should be creamy but not pasty.
- Soak the cubed paneer in about three cups of hot water, for about 5 minutes or more. This helps to give the paneer soft texture. Set aside.
- While cooking, spinach can splatter, use larger sauce pan. Heat the oil in a sauce pan, over medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away it is ready.
- Add cumin seed, and asafetida. After cumin seeds crack, add the tomatoes and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Tomatoes should be tender not mushy. Add coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and sugar, stir and add the spinach.
- After spinach comes to boil lower the heat to low, and let the spinach cook for about 5-6 minutes do not cover the pot. This helps keeping the green color of spinach.
- Mix the flour to 1/2 cup of water and add to the spinach, also add the cream. Mix it well and let it cook for five minutes. If needed add little more water.
- Drain the paneer and fold it gently with spinach and let it simmer for about five minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!