Sandesh is a delicacy of Bengal. Chocolate flavored Sandesh is truly unique. This is very simple to make with few ingredients, milk, sugar and the flavor of your choice.
This recipe will make 18 Sandesh.
- 8 cups milk 1/2 gallon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons coco powder
- 3 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced pistachios
- To make Paneer: Mix lemon juice in half cup of hot water and keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- As the milk comes to a boil, add the lemon juice gradually and stir the milk gently. The curd will start separating from the whey, turn off the heat.
- Once the milk fat has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth, or muslin cloth.
- Wrap the curds in a muslin cloth, rinse under cold water, and squeeze well.
- To take excess water out, press the wrapped paneer under a heavy pan for about 1 hour.
- Making Sandesh: Once the paneer is drained, place on a dry, clean surface and knead the paneer until the paneer is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
- Add the sugar and coco powder into the paneer and knead the paneer again until sugar and coco powder is mixed well.
- Next on low heat cook the paneer mixture stirring continuously until paneer starts coming together as soft dough. This should take about 6 to 7 minutes. This is most important step to this dish; you are just cooking paneer enough to take out the rawness. If you over cook the paneer it will become grainy.
- Turn off the heat and refrigerate the paneer for about an hour.
- Divide the paneer into 18 equal parts and roll them making them in ball shape.
- Refrigerate the Sandesh while preparing the chocolate Ganache for topping.
- Chocolate Ganache: Heat the heavy cream, do hot boil, pour it over chocolate chips and mix it well for about a minute until it is smooth and shiny chocolate syrup consistency.
- Pour the syrup in one corner of zip log bag and make a very small hole to drizzle the syrup on Sandesh, or use the icing bag.
- Take out the Sandesh from refrigerator and drizzle the chocolate syrup over and garnish with few slices of pistachios.
- Sandesh is ready
- Refrigerate them for few hours before serving. Serve them chilled! And Enjoy delicious Sandesh
Sandesh can be refrigerated for about one week.
12 thoughts on “Chocolate Sandesh (Truffles)”
I love the topping finish on the sandesh truffles
Dannie, thank you
can you tell me the exact amount of paneer after the bursting of the milk?
Because I already have some paneer.
SK, for sandesh you need fresh paneer
I am traveling to India from USA in few weeks. Do you think I can make this in USA and take it to India for my folks? Wondering if the chocolate topping will melt or if the sandesh will get spoilt during travel…
Not a good idea, snadesh will spoil, make for them while you are there
Excellent sandesh! Presentation was so professional and taste so good that no one believed they were home-made!,
It seems tempting..can we use readymade paneer ?
Sorry, home made paneer
Lovely truffles manjla ji.
OMG! This is so interesting!- certainly worth giving it a try. Thanks!
You must log in to post a comment.