Muthia (Steamed Dumpling)
Muthias are steamed spiced dumplings, made with gram flour (besan), cabbage, and spices. They make a tasty appetizer or snack.Serves 4.
- ½ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp citric acid
- 4 cup cabbage very fine shredded
- 1 cup gram flour basen (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp chopped fenugreek leaves can be substitute with 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek leaves or kastoori mathi fenugreek can also be replaced with chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 2 chopped green chili adjust to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seed jeera
- ½ tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 2 Tbsp oil
For Seasoning and Garnish
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds til
- 4 whole red chili
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro hara dhania
- Combine gram flour, whole wheat flour, fenugreek, cumin seed, turmeric, green chili, sugar, citric acid, oil, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the cabbage to the flour mixture and mix well to make soft dough. Add water if needed .
- Grease your fingers and divide the mixture into 14 pieces. Drop slowly onto the steamer and steam, covered, 18 to 20 minutes. Test by inserting a knife; blade should come out clean.
- Let the muthias cool. Cut each one into two pieces off and then slice them in two pieces.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the sesame seeds and red chili and stir-fry the mixture a few seconds.
- Add muthias and stir-fry them for three to four minutes until they are light brown.Garnish them with chopped cilantro.
- Serve them hot or at room temperature.
- Steam immediately after preparing the mixture. If you allow it to sit, it will be too soft. If you have more than one batch, hold the salt and add it one batch at a time or it will be too soft.
- Muthias can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days.
- Muthias can be frozen before seasoning. When ready to serve, thaw the frozen muthias and season them.
- Muthias are great with cilantro chutney.
- Muthias can be served just after steaming, but before seasoning, with cilantro chutney.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!