Mattar Paneer is a popular main course Indian dish, made with green peas, paneer, and a creamy blend of spices.
Serve 2 to 4.
- 8 oz frozen green peas
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 1/3 lb paneer
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick (dalcheene)
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt or adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cube the paneer into half inch pieces and deep-fry them on medium high heat. Fry until the paneer becomes a light golden color. Take the paneer out and place on a paper towel so the extra oil is absorbed.
- Mix cornstarch with three tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Blend the tomatoes and ginger to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the asafetida (hing), cumin seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, coriander, turmeric, chili powder and paprika. Cook until the mixture reduces to half.
- Add the green peas and 1/4 cup of water. cook on medium heat pan should be covered. When the peas are tender, add the salt and paneer.
- To thicken the gravy add corn starch mix. Cover the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon fresh chopped fenugreek leaves or 1/2 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves to the gravy when cooking.