Mattar Kachori is delicious, fried puff pastry filled with spicy green peas. This mouth watering snack also can be served as part of any main meal.
Make 12 Kachoris.
- 1 cup All Purpose flour (plain flour or maida)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Approximately 1/2 cup chilled water
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed powder (sonf)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to your taste)
- Oil to deep fry
To Make Dough
- Add the flour, salt and oil in a bowl and mix it well.
- Add the chilled water slowly, mixing with your fingers as you pour the water.
- Do not knead the dough. The dough should be very soft but not sticking to fingers.
- Cover the dough and let it sit for at least fifteen minutes.
To Make Filling
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add green peas, stir-fry until peas are tender.
- Add ginger, coriander powder, fennel seed powder, chili powder, mango powder and salt, stir fry for another few minutes.
- While stir frying the peas mash them with spatula.
- Let the filling cool to room temperature.
To Make Kachoris
- Take the dough and lightly knead it.
- Divide the dough in twelve equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and with your fingers flatten the edges and make into about 2-inch circle. Leaving center little thicker then edges around.
- Mold the dough into a cup and place about 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Pull the edges of the dough to wrap the filling. Proceed to make all 12 balls.
- Let the filled balls sit for 3 to 4 minutes before pressing.
- Set the filled balls on a clean and dry surface with the seam facing up. Using the base of your palm, slowly flatten them into about 3 inches circle.
- Heat about 1-1/2 inches of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. To check if oil is ready put a little piece of dough in the oil. It should sizzle, and come up very slow.
- Do not over crowd the kachories in frying pan, fry them on medium heat.
- After they are puff, slowly turn them over.
- It will take about 3 minutes to fry from each side. Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
- If the kachories are fried on high heat, they will get soft and will not be crispy.