Masala Zucchini has a nutty and spicy flavor. It’s great as a side dish. For this recipe, I used a popular Bengali spice mixture known as punch poran. Punch poran is a blend of five spices which gives a very unique flavor to Zucchini.
Recipe will serve 3
- 2 zucchini large size with skin, sliced in 1/2 inch thick. This will make about 4 cups of sliced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (Methi dana)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- First 5 spice mix cumin, fenugreek, mustard, fennel, and nigella seeds known as Punch Poran. You can make your own mix or buy the mix in Indian grocery store.
- This recipe works best with large and firm zucchini.
- Mix the first 5 spices to make Punch Poran cumin, fenugreek, mustard, fennel, and nigella seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a flat sauce pan over medium high heat. When oil is moderately hot add the spice mix as cumin seeds and mustard seeds crack add whole red chili stir for few seconds. Add turmeric, red chili powder and salt stir and add zucchini.
- Stir fry for about 1 minute lower the heat to low medium, and cover the pen. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes, doing this zucchini will leave the moisture that will help to stir fry them.
- Remove the cover bring the heat to medium high and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes. Zucchini should be tender not mushy.
- Add sugar, mango powder and lemon juice, stir and mix it well. Turn off the heat Masala Zucchini is ready to serve.
- Serve Masala Zucchini with roti, paratha or any bread. This also good with rice.
You can also use bottle gourd (in Hindi it is known as lauki, or ghia) but do peel the skin before slicing and slice them about the same size.