Hot and spicy peanuts fried with delicious mix of spices. This makes a great munch for sitting around watching TV or playing games with family and friends.
Recipe serves 6.
- 1 1/2 cup or 1/2 pound shelled peanuts
- 1/2 cup gram flour (basen)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green chili
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder (soth)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1 cup Water as needed
- Oil to fry
- In a frying pan roast the dry peanuts on medium heat for 3-4 minutes and let it cool for few minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add water as needed making sure the spices and flour stick to the peanuts uniformly.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should raise to the top but not change color right away.
- put few drops of oil in your hand it helps droping the penuts before putting peanuts on the oil.
- While putting the peanuts into oil, loosen them with your fingers to make sure the peanuts are separated and do not form lumps. Peanuts should be separated while frying.
- Fry the peanuts until they turn light brown, turning them occasionally.
- When they are done cooking, take them out of the oil with a slotted spoon. Place them on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- After cooling to room temperature, the peanuts should be crispy.
- Masala Peanuts can be stored for a month in an airtight container.