Lauki raita is a refreshing yogurt-based dish made with spiced lauki and yogurt. Lauki is also known as bottle gourd, doodhi, ghia. Lauki raita is healthy and tastes delicious. Serve this as a side dish with any Indian flat bread or over the rice.
Will serve 2
- 1 cups yogurt (curd, dahi)
- Approx. ½ cup milk, use as needed
- 1 cup lauki grated (bottle gourd, doodhi, ghia)
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 whole red chilies (lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely chopped (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon green chilies finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whip the yogurt and add the milk as needed to make the consistency of pancake batter, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and asafetida. After the cumin seeds crack, add red chilies. Stir-fry a few seconds.
- Add lauki, ginger, green chilies, cilantro and stir-fry until most of the water has evaporated and lauki is tender. This should take about four to five minutes.
- After the lauki cools, mix it well into the yogurt.
- Add more milk if needed.
- For best results, serve chilled.