Laucki Chana Dal (Bottle Gourd, Ghiya, Doodhi)
Laucki Chana Dal is is a healthful, wholesome lentil and vegetable main dish. Having a low glycemic index, it is especially good for diabetics.Prep Time 5 minutesCook Time 20 minutesTotal Time 25 minutesServings 3 people
- 1 medium bottle gourd (laucki, ghiya, doodhi)
- 1/2 cup yellow split gram (chana dal)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1 tsp ginger shredded (adrak)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 1 cup water used as needed
Wash and soak chana dal for one hour or more.
Peel and wash laucki (bottle gourd). Cut into half-inch cubes.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds. When seeds start to crack, add the asafetida and whole red chilies. Stir for a few seconds. Add ginger, turmeric, and chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
Add the chana dal, bottle gourd, salt, and one cup of water (adjust as needed to desired gravy thickness; bottle guard varies in moisture content).
Cook the chana dal until soft. About fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat and add the mango powder, garam masala, and cilantro. Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.