Laucki Chana Dal is is a healthful, wholesome lentil and vegetable main dish. Having a low glycemic index, it is especially good for diabetics.
- 1 medium bottle gourd (laucki, ghiya, doodhi)
- 1/2 cup yellow split gram (chana dal)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger (adrak)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor) adjust to taste
- About 2 tablespoon finally chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 cup of water adjust as needed
- Wash and soak chana dal for one hour or more.
- Peel and wash the bottle gourd. Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds. When seeds start to crack, add the asafetida and whole red chilies. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add ginger, turmeric, and chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the chana dal, bottle gourd, salt, and one cup of water (adjust as needed to desired gravy thickness; bottle guard varies in moisture content).
- Cook the chana dal until soft. About fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat and add the mango powder, garam masala, and cilantro. Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with roti (whole wheat flat bread), paratha (flat bread), or plain rice.
- Mango powder can be replaced with lemon juice.
- Add two tablespoons dry fenugreek leaves or two tablespoons of fresh chopped fenugreek leaves when adding the bottle gourd.