Khaman (Besan) dhokla, is a tasty Gujarati snack. This salty snack has a texture similar to cake. This is a popular street food in Gujarat. The best snacks are usually easy and quick to make. This is a delicious guilt-free snack, or side dish that can go with any meal.
This recipe will serve 6.
- 1-1/2 cups besan (Gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons Sooji (rava, Semolina)
- 1/2 teaspoon Citric acid
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water use as needed to make pouring consistency
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Eno (fruit Salt)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
- 4-5 curry leaves optional
- 2 green chili seeded and cut into 4 length wise
Also need 2-3 tablespoons hot water
Utensils to steam Dhokla
Dhokla maker – or, if you don’t have that, use all three of the following: that’s what I am also using
- Covered pan large enough to hold round cake rack
- Round cake-cooling rack
- Round 9” cake pan
- Sift the besan, and make batter should be smooth and pouring consistency. Add all the ingredients except the ENO to the batter sooji, salt, sugar, asafetida, ginger, citric acid and green chili, mix it well, if needed add little more water. Set aside. We will add the ENO just before steaming.
- Grease the cake pan and set aside.
- Set the cake rack in the pan. Add water, just enough to touch the cake rack, and bring to a boil. This will be used to steam the dhokla.
- When the water boils, turn down the heat to medium.
- Add the ENO to the batter and beat the batter for a minute, batter will become airy and frothy. Quickly pour batter into a greased cake pan. Place the cake pan into the saucepan over the cake rack. Cover the pan. Steam for about 8 minutes on medium heat. Do not open the pen in between.
- Check Dhokla with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, dhokla is ready. Turn off the heat and let it sit over the stem for 4-5 minutes covered.
Prepare the seasoning
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat moderately. Add mustard seeds, and sesame seeds stir for 3-4 seconds, add green chili stir and curry leaves, stir for few seconds. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. Careful curry leaves will splatter.
- First drizzle the hot water over dhokla this will keep the dhokla moist. Then drizzle the seasoning over.
- Cut them in squares.
- Serve with Hari cilantro chutney. Taste best when it is served warm.
- Khaman Dhokla can be refrigerated for a few days. Before serving, heat Dhokla in a microwave or heat over steam.