Kadhi Paneer is a great main dish for any special occasion. Paneer and colorful bell peppers are sauteed in spicy tomato gravy.
Recipe serves 4.
- 1/2 pound paneer
- 1 medium red bell pepper (shimla mirch, capsicum)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (shimla mirch, capsicum)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium tomatoes
- About 1/4 inch piece of ginger
- 1 green chili
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fenugreek leaves (methi) or dry fenugreek leaves (kastoori methi)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- Cut paneer and bell peppers into ½ inch cubes.
- Blend the tomatoes, ginger, and green chili to make a puree.
- Heat the oil in frying pan on medium heat and stir fry paneer for about 2 minutes – take them out before paneer starts changing color.
- Next stir-fry bell pepper until they are tender. Do not over cook the bell pepper. Take them out and drain on a paper towel.
- Using the same frying pan, Test the oil by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the asafetida and cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, fenugreek leaves and cayenne pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Tomato mixture will reduce to about half in volume.
- Add about 2 spoons of water, and the salt.
- Wait till gravy comes to boil add paneer and bell pepper and let it simmer for about five minutes on low medium heat.
- Now it is ready to serve.