Jeera rice is a simple rice dish flavored with cumin seeds. Jeera Rice or Cumin Rice makes a delicious side dish which can be served with any meal and makes it festive.
This recipe will serve 4.
- 1 cup rice I preferred basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 whole dried red chili (sabut lal mirch)
- 1inch piece of cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 2 cardamoms crushed (ilachi)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ghee clarified butter for garnishing
- Wash the rice gently and soak in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan moderately. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add all the spices red chili, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cardamom, stir for few seconds.
- Add the rice. Stir-fry one minute.
- Add the water and salt bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan.
- Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat add cilantro and fluff the rice.
Jeera rice is ready, serve hot.
Garnish the rice with ghee but this is optional. Jeera rice is very aromatic and delicious. This can enhance any meal.
The pan (Calphalon 3-Quart Chef’s Pan) I cooked the rice is my favorite pan I use this for my every day cooking.
27 thoughts on “Jeera Rice (Cumin Rice)”
THANK YOU !!!!!
Namaste Manjulaji,all your vegetarian recipes are very tasty,thank u madam,give us more,& more recipes.
Instead of basmathi rice u can use jeer rice also. Pour ghee while cooking. Smell wil be nice
Thankamoni, any long grain rice will work
Thanks for dis easy n beautiful dish
can we make jeera rice with goldana rice.thanks for recipe
I am trying yr recipes. Every item is very yaamini and I became yr fan. Thank u for yr many recipes. We r enjoying it vysya cooking and tasting.
Seetha, Thank you
Hello! Mam I luv dishes vry much as they are very tasty ???? n so easy to prepare……..tq for ur variety foods
Laxmi, Thank you
Hello dear Manjula,
I love your dishes so much. Thank you for sharing them!
Question: i have to make a rice sidedish in a large amount. It has to serve about 40-50 guests. I will have to make it in the morning and we will serve it in the evening… which of your rice recipes do you suggest is the best to make?
Thank you so much,
Loving greeting Usha
Usha, any rice dish will work depends on your menu, lemon rice, yogurt rice, mango rice can be served at room temprature
Hi manjula..thanx fr sharing ur recipes..how to make rice dhokla..plz share
Geeta I am planning to do soon
Ur dishes are mouth watering thanks for it..
very nice recipes thank u much i ll try it today itself thanq very much
I like your recipes and I am going to try your all recipes.
Pramod, Thank you, enjoy cooking
Use Tilda brand that’s best.
Which brand basmati rice need to use which has long grain and real smell of basmati ?
so many different brand basmati rice available, just try some, lately I am using laxmi brand
Very nice Post….
Thank u for sharing…
Recipes from you are always tempting…. Kindly suggest some diet recipe for weight loss
Samia, You will find many recipes in every category also check this link https://manjulaskitchen.com/special-diets/low-fat/
You must log in to post a comment.