Handvo is a popular Gujrati snack. This is a baked, spicy lentil cake made with rice and different lentils fermented batter mixed with spices. This is served with chutney. Handvo is crisp outside and soft inside.
I have many requests for this recipe and decided to give a try. Finely after trying few times I was happy with my last trial. Now it is the time for me to try out this recipe with friends including friends from Gujrat as they were asking for the recipe. I said wow, so here is the recipe.
Recipe will serve 8
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal split with skin
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- About 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 1-2 green chili adjust to taste
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup laucki shredded (opo squash, bottlegourd, doodhi)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Eno fruit salt
- 1 tablespoon oil 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon oil to grease the baking pan
- 8×8 baking pan, for this recipe I prefer glass baking pan
- Wash and soak rice, chana dal, toor dal, and urad dal in about four cups of water for at least four hours.
- Drain the water and blend soaked rice, lentil, ginger, green chili lightly coarse texture, (try not to use any water). I prefer to use food processor, add yogurt, turmeric, salt, sugar and asafetida, blend it again for few more seconds. Transfer the dal mix into a bowl and let the mix ferment for about 10 to 12 hours.
- Add the opo squash, 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice to the fermented dal mix and mix it well. Add ENO to the mixture and mix, this will make the handvo mix light and fluffy.
- Grease the 8×8 baking pan generously and pour the handvo mix into the greased pan. Tap the pan; it will help spreading the mix evenly.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the handvo batter.
- Heat the oil for seasoning in a small pen over medium heat, after oil is moderately hot add the mustard seeds and asafetida as mustard seeds crack, turn off the heat.
- Drizzle the seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place the pan on middle oven rack and bake at 350 degree F, preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes until top of the handvo is light golden brown or until knife inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the handvo cool off for about 15 minutes. Cut them in sixteen pieces. Handvo is ready to serve.