Potato Sandwiches give a different dimension to grilled cheese sandwich. They are delicious and add an Indian taste to standard grilled cheese. Potato& cheese sandwiches are excellent choice for a hearty and satisfying lunch.
Recipe will make 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of white firm bread ( I am using buttermilk bread)
- 3 medium size potatoes boiled peeled and mashed, about 1-1/2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mango power (amchoor)
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 8 tomato thinly sliced
- In a bowl mix potatoes, cilantro, ginger, green chili, salt, cumin seeds, and mango powder well.
- Lightly butter the bread slices from one side and other side spread layer of thin potato mixture evenly, and brush the butter over the mixture.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat and put the bread slices over the skillet putting the potato mixture side down.
- Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes or till it is golden brown from bottom. Note: if you turn too quickly the spread will start coming out. Turn it over; put one slice of cheese and tomato slices covering the bread slice.
- Now put the other slice of bread potato side down over tomatoes and grilled both sides until sandwich is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Potato Sandwich is ready, slice them diagonally. Serve the sandwich with Hari Cilantro Chutney and side of Carrot Pickle.
- Slice them in small squares and serve them as snack.
- You may use leftover dry vegetables like Aloo Gobi (potatoes with cauliflower) or Aloo jeera, mash the left over vegetables and follow the same steps.
- You can also use a multigrain or whole wheat bread of your choice.