Green Chili Pickle
- 20 chilies green Serrano chili peppers (you may use different chilies)
- 3 tbsp coriander (dhania)
- 1-1/2 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (mathi)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbcp oil, preferred mustard oil
Wash and dry the chilies and cut a vertical lengthwise slit in each one.
Combine coriander, fennel, and fenugreek seeds. Grind coarsely. Add salt, mango powder, and turmeric to the ground spices. Mix well.
Heat oil until quite hot, and pour over the dry ingredient mixture. Mix well.
Add vinegar and mix well, again.
Stuff the spice mix into the green peppers and place in a glass jar.
Let the jar sit two days at room temperature or one day in direct sunlight.Pickle is ready to serve.Chili Pickle will keep in the refrigerator up to one month.
As an alternative to stuffing the chilies, you can slice them into 1/8“pieces and mix them in with the spice mixture.
For a milder pickle, remove the pepper seeds prior to stuffing with spices