Gobi or cauliflower Manchurian is a popular Indo Chinese dish. This is a super delicious appetizer or main dish. Gobi manchurian satisfies both your savory and spicy cravings! It consists of fried gobi (cauliflower) simmered in a flavorful gravy made with soy sauce and red chili sauce.
- 20 cauliflower pieces cut into medium size florets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or finely shredded ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch or arrow root powder
- Approx. ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (plain flour, maida)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or arrow root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Approx. ½ cup water
- Mix the corn starch with water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in sauce pan over medium high heat; add ginger, celery and green chili stir for about two minute. Add all the ingredients for sauce except corn starch, (chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, and sugar).
- Stir for 2 minutes add corn starch and cook for another two minutes, sauce should be thick, consistency of a dosa or pancake batter. If needed add more water, sauce gets thicker as it sits.
- Sauce is ready, set aside.
- To make batter mix flour, corn starch, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter (batter should be consistency of pancake batter or dosa batter).
- Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Oil should be moderately hot. (If oil is not hot cauliflower will be greasy).
- Dip the cauliflower into the batter one at a time, making sure it is completely covered by the batter. Then drop the cauliflowers slowly into oil in the frying pan. (do not overlap them)
- Fry the cauliflowers in small batches, four to five minutes per batch. Fry them turning occasionally, until they are all sides golden brown. Take them out over paper towel.
- Repeat this process for the remaining cauliflowers.
- Fold fried cauliflower/ gobies into gravy and serve hot.
Manchurian tastes best when cauliflower has some crunch. If you have fried them earlier, refry them before dipping in the sauce as fried cauliflower becomes soft as they cool off.