Gajar Matar is a healthy and easy recipe to make. This mildly spiced, colorful dish can compliment just about any meal.
Recipe will serve 4
- 2 cups carrots diced in about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup potato cubed in about ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 4 whole red chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, on medium heat.Add carom seeds. The oil should NOT be very hot as the carom seeds will burn and lose their flavor.
- Add whole red chilies and turmeric and stir for a few seconds.
- Add carrots, potatoes, green peas, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. Turn off the heat when done.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Serve hot.