Gajar (Carrot) Halwa also known as gajrala is a traditional Punjabi dessert made with carrots and milk. Gajar Halwa is delicious warm or cold.
Recipe serves 4
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 6 chopped roasted cashew nuts (To garnish)
- Roast the cashew nuts and set aside for the garnish.
- Boil the milk on medium-high heat in a non-stick pan until it is reduced to about to 1 cup. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about seven to eight minutes.
- Carrots should be tender and slightly changed in color.
- Add the milk and cook until the milk dries. This will take about eight to ten minutes.
- Next add the sugar, and cardamom powder and stir-fry for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan.
- Garnish with cashew nuts.
- Gajar Halwa can be refrigerated for up to one week and kept in the freezer for up to two months.
- When ready to serve just warm.
- Cook the halwa a little more and pour on a greased plate.
- Spread the halwa until it is flat and 3/4 inch thick.
- After the halwa cools, cut in squares.
- Garnish with cashew nuts or sliced almonds.