Gajar Ka Halwa, Carrot Pudding
Gajar Ka Halwa is a classical Indian dessert, this is also known as gajrala. Gajar ka Halwa is a delicious and popular sweet made with few ingredients, carrots, milk, sugar and flavored with cardamom. Gajar ka Halwa is a perfect dessert for any celebration.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 6 cashew roasted and broken for garnishing
- Roast the cashew nuts and set aside for the garnish.
- Boil the milk on medium-high heat in a non-stick pan until it is reduced to about to 1 cup. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about seven to eight minutes. Carrots should be tender and slightly changed in color.
- Add the milk and cook until the milk dries. This will take about eight to ten minutes.
- Next add the sugar, and cardamom powder and stir-fry for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan.
- Garnish with cashew nuts.
Tips: Gajar Halwa can be refrigerated for up to one week and kept in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to serve just warm. Suggestion: Cook the halwa a little more and pour on a greased plate. Spread the halwa until it is flat and 3/4 inch thick. After the halwa cools, cut in squares. Garnish with cashew nuts or sliced almonds.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!