This is a bright, colorful, and refreshing fruit chaat (snack) that can also be used as a fruit salad. My siblings and I looked forward to the fruit chaat, served regularly as part of our lunch. It was a delicious way of eating a great variety of fresh, seasonal fruit. This by itself will brighten up any meal, and it tastes great at any time of day.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 2 oranges skin removed and sliced in ½ inch each segment
- 1 apple peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 1 firm banana sliced into approximately ¼ inch rounds
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup English or Asian cucumber cubed into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 green chili finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Approximately 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Approximately 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black salt (optional) available in Indian grocery store
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit and cucumber with the green chili and cilantro. Toss and set asidea .
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, making sure the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the dressing over the fruit when ready to serve.
I have used many different varieties of fruits in this chaat dish; however, I always keep the oranges and bananas, as they add a lot of color and texture to the dish.