Dahi baingan (Sautéed Eggplant with Yogurt is a classic eggplant dish. This recipe is very sophisticated but very simple to make. It is always amazing to see how a few simple ingredients can make such a satisfying dish. My husband who doesn’t like eggplant fell in love with this dish. Dahi Baingan is simply delicious. This can be served with plain rice or roti.
This recipe will serve 4.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
- 1 eggplant cut into ¼ inch thick pieces this will make about 4 cups of cubed eggplant (baingan, brinjals)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon ginger thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 teaspoons gram flour (besan)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds crushed (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- About 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Whisk the yogurt besan, and cilantro together keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a flat pan on medium high heat. When oil is moderately hot add cumin seeds as seeds crack add asafetida, ginger. Stir for about half a minute.
- Add eggplant stir gently, spread them in the pan evenly. Sprinkle the salt over eggplant, do not mix. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium low and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn them over, some of the eggplants will have grilled charcoal color. Cover the pan and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Check the eggplant they should be soft and tender add the remaining spices coriander, fennel seeds, and turmeric. Stir gently all the pieces of eggplants should be coated with spice mix. Add yogurt stir gently and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Notes: Adding the besan to the yogurt is essential as it prevents curdling the yogurt. Also give the thickness to the gravy.
Today I will be serving dahi baingan with plain paratha.