Crispy Aloo Tikki is a popular street food chaat that can be made in a variety of ways. Any way you prepare these tikkis, they are sure to turn out great! They taste especially delicious with cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney. One of my favorite toppings is spiced chola (this recipe for crispy aloo tikki is with spicy chola topping).
This recipe will serve 4 and will make 8 tikki
For aloo tikki
- 4 cups potatoes boiled peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- Also need oil to shallow fry
For Chola Topping
- 1 15oz can of chick pea, garbanzo beans, kabuli chana,
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons ginger finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
Preparation for potatoes
- Boil the potatoes you will need 3 to 4 potatoes, do not overcook the potatoes they should be still firm, otherwise potatoes will be mushy, and tikki will not be crispy as desired. Peel and shred the potatoes.
- Add salt, corn starch, and cilantro to shredded potatoes and mix it well with light hand. Don’t knead the potatoes. Divide the potatoes in eight equal parts and roll them, into patties. Cover the patties and refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours. This is an important step to make crispy tikkies.
- Wash the chick peas changing the water 2-3 times. In a blender mash the chick peas with one cup of water just churning few times. Chick peas should be mashed not pasty.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat add the besan and roast the besan stirring continuously until besan is golden brown this should take about a minute.
- Add ginger and green chili stir for 30 seconds, add chick peas, salt, cumin seed powder, garam masala, and mango powder.
- Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes if needed add water, chick peas should be consistency of dosa or pancake batter.
- Turn off the heat, spiced chola topping should be served hot with crispy aloo tikki.
Making the Crispy Aloo Tikki
- Heat the flat frying pan with less than 1/8 inch of oil over medium high heat. When oil is moderately hot put the potatoes patties leaving some space in between. Let it brown for about 2 minutes then turn it over. Shallow fry the tikkies until they are light brown from both sides.
- Do not cook on low heat, tikkies will become greasy and will not be as crispy.
- Aloo tikkies are ready serve hot with spicy chola.
- You can also serve crispy tikkies with cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney.
- Chola topping also goes well with samosas and Samosa Pinwheels.