Chum Chum - Bengali Dessert
Chum Chum is a popular Bengali (East Indian) sweet dish that is made with Paneer, (home-made cheese). It is a versatile dish that can be served in many different variations. Here I will show you 3 different ways to serve Chum Chum, either with Pistachios, or with Coconuts or with Malai (cream).
- 4 cups whole milk, paneer
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
Ingredients for different For Different Garnishing
- 1 tbs pistachio
- 1 tbs coconut powder
- 2 tbsp cream
- Prepare paneer according to recipe “How to Make Paneer”. To test if sufficient water has been removed out of the paneer, take a little piece of paneer in your palm and rub with your fingers. You should be able to make a firm but smooth ball, after 15-20 seconds of rubbing.
- Place the drained paneer on a dry, clean surface and knead it for 3 to 4 minutes until it rolls into smooth soft dough. If the paneer is too crumbly, add a teaspoon of water.
- Divide the paneer dough into 8 equal parts and roll each one into a smooth oval shaped ball.
- For the syrup: In a wide saucepan, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add sugar and stir to dissolve completely. Use a large pan as the Chum Chums will double in volume while cooking in the syrup.
- Add the paneer balls to the syrup and bring it back to a boil. Then turn down the heat to medium and cover the pot. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the pot cover, turn the chum chums over and cook for another 15 minutes. Check to see if the chum chums appear firm but sponge-like (with little holes on the surface). Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the chum chums from the syrup. Serve chill!
- Serving With Pistachios: Cover every Chum Chum with a few pieces of sliced pistachios
- Serving with Coconut Powder: Roll the chum chums in dry coconut
- Serving with Malai (cream): Boil the milk over medium heat until it reduces to ½ its volume. Stir the milk continuously so it doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot. Add sugar, and cardamom powder. Stir for 2 minutes, and then turn off the heat. While milk is still warm pour 1 tablespoon over every Chum Chum and top with a few pieces of pistachios.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!