Chatpate Aloo or spicy stir-fry potatoes is a tangy and delicious spicy dish. These Stir-fried potatoes with green chili and tamarind give a very unique flavor. Chatpate Aloo is perfect as a delicious appetizer or you can serve them as a side dish with any meal.
This recipe will serve 4.
- 3 cups potatoes boiled peeled and cubed in byte size
- 4 tablespoons oil, I like canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, jeera
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons green chili finely chopped, adjust to your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flake
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste (do not use concentrated Tamarind)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Oil is the right temperature when cumin seeds crack immediately after being put in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds after seeds crack add potatoes and sprinkle the salt over potatoes.
- Stir-fry until potatoes are light golden brown this should take about 6-7 minutes. Add ginger, green chilies and chili flakes. Stir for about a minute.
- Add tamarind paste, and sugar mix it well. Add water as needed about 2-3 tablespoons. Potatoes should be moist.
- Turn off the heat and add cilantro. Mix it well and serve chatpata aloo hot.