This is one the simple and yummy halwa that is easy to make and tastes great. The richness of the halwa comes from the almonds added to it. Also this halwa is almost healthy as it inculdes a large amount of veggie in it. It has less fat than the traditional badam halwa but tastes almost similar to it.
- 2 Cups Butternut squash puree
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Almonds
- 1/8 Cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Cardamon powder
- 1 Tbsp Chopped nuts ( Cashews, almonds) (Optional)
- pinch of Yellow food color (Optional)
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into medium chunks.
- Pressure cook the squash pieces for 3 whistles or for 5minutes until soft.
- Now make a puree out of the cooked squash using a blender.
- Meanwhile soak almond in hot water for about 15minutes.
- Peel the skin off and make a smooth paste with the almonds using milk.
- Now add squash puree, almond paste, sugar, cardamon powder, food color(if using) and cook until the mixture cooks well and gets thicker.
- When the whole mixture starts to come together as a ball without sticking to the pan, the halwa is almost ready.
- At this stage add in ghee, chopped nuts and turns off the heat.
- Squash badam halwa is ready to be enjoyed warm or cold.
- Squash badam halwa looks great when presented wrapped in butter paper like traditional badam halwa.
- This halwa stay good for one week when refrigerated.
- Also this halwa can be used as stuffing to make yummy squash halwa polis.